This information applies to SmarterMail and the SmarterMail web-based email interface. When you delete a message from anywhere besides the Deleted Items folder, it will first move the message to the Deleted Items folder. The Deleted Items folder is a special folder that acts like the Recycle Bin on a Windows/Mac desktop. This is to prevent you from accidently deleting an email message by mistake and allows you to restore the email message if needed. To permanently delete the message(s) and free up email disk space, you will need to select the Deleted Items folder and perform the delete operation again on the messages stored here. This will remove the email from the servers. Please note that you will not be able to undo this operation.
Steps to delete emails:
1. Login to the SmarterMail email console.
2. Click on Email, then Inbox on the left menu.
3. Check the checkbox next to all emails you do not need.
4. Mouse over the Delete button and click Delete
5. Go to your Sent Items folder (if you have one), and delete those items as well.
6. Finally, go to your Deleted Items folder and check the checkbox next to all emails. The space will not free up until you
have removed the emails from the Deleted Items folder.
7. Mouse over the Delete button and click Delete.
8. Repeat this process for as many users as you have in the SmarterMail account.