At times you may want to ensure that the recipient acknowledged the email that you have sent; therefore in such state you may actually create the read receipts for the outgoing messages.
You may follow the below steps for Enable read receipts :
1. Log into to your SmarterMail webmail interface.
2. Once in the SmarterMail interface, click the "Settings" link on the left-hand side navigation menu (it is an
icon that looks like gears).
3. Click to expand the "My Settings" folder.
4. Click "Account Settings".
5. Select the "Compose" tab.
6. Select the "Enable read receipts by default" checkbox.
7. Click "Save".
Once the recipient received the email from the sender, then he/she might see a read receipt as shown below: